Child died whilst playing on powered gate

Lack of end stop caused gate to fall on 6 year old boy

An electric gate company has been fined after a six-year-old boy was fatally crushed whilst playing on a sliding gate installed by the company in October 2015.

Leeds Crown Court heard how the boy was playing with friends on the gate of an underground car park on Leylands Road, Leeds, pushing the gate open and closed.

The gate was pushed beyond the retaining mechanism because an “end stop” had not been fitted to the gate track. The gate fell trapping and fatally crushing the child.

Thorough commissioning check required

HSE investigators found the company which manufactured and installed the electric gate failed to install an end stop. No-one else involved in commissioning or maintaining the gate over the next six years noticed and rectified the deficiency.

  • Bradfabs Ltd. – of Planetrees Road, Laisterdyke, Bradford pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £30,000 and ordered to pay full costs of £12,411.46.

After the hearing, HSE inspector Julian Franklin commented:“This was a tragic and wholly avoidable incident, which could have been prevented by a thorough commissioning check before handing the gate over to the building occupier.”

Companies should be aware the HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”

Child died whilst playing on powered gate