Fine after woman fatally crushed by roller shutter door

By Sylwia Wolska | June 25, 2019

An electrical company has been fined after a woman was fatally crushed by a roller shutter door. Peterborough Magistrates’ Court was told  how on 14 August 2016 Heidi Chalkley pressed the button to open the roller-shutter door at Ruth Bagnall Court, Cambridge. She then held onto the grille as it raised and became trapped as…

Read More

Fines after scaffolder killed in fall fitting guardrails on fragile roof

By Sylwia Wolska | June 25, 2019

Two contractors have been fined after a worker died after falling through a fragile roof during construction work at a factory in Staffordshire. On 19 September 2015, at the Norton Aluminium foundry site in Norton Canes, a scaffold company employee was fatally injured after falling approximately 11.5 metres through a fragile roof. The employee was…

Read More

National Grid fined following worker’s death

By Sylwia Wolska | June 25, 2019

An electricity and gas utility company has been fined after a worker was killed on Winslow Road in East Claydon. Aylesbury Crown Court heard how, on 18 November 2016, Paul Marsden, a sub-station crafts person for National Grid Electricity Transmission was to move a delivery crate containing a compressor with the help of a colleague.…

Read More

HSE launches new round of dust inspections

By Sylwia Wolska | June 13, 2019

High risk sectors where workers are exposed to a range of different dusts that are linked to respiratory diseases are being targeted in a new inspection crackdown. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) announced the new round of dust control inspections on 11 June, which will take place over the next few weeks. HSE inspectors…

Read More

Timber fell ten metres onto 3-year-old

By Sylwia Wolska | June 10, 2019

A self-employed builder has been given a suspended jail sentence after a three-year-old girl suffered severe head injuries when a length of timber fell on her whilst it was being hoisted up the outside of a scaffold. Brighton Magistrates’ Court was told how on 6 July 2018, the girl and her mother, who was pushing…

Read More

Contractor seriously injured after loft fall

By Sylwia Wolska | June 10, 2019

A company, two directors and a self-employed contractor have been sentenced and fined after an electrician fell two storeys through an unprotected stairwell. On 1 December 2016, Mr T Quirk was undertaking electrical work at Mile House, Main Road, Worleston, Nantwich, Cheshire. This property was owned and was being refurbished by self-employed contractor Mr Steven…

Read More

Gas fitter jailed for unsafe gas work

By Sylwia Wolska | June 10, 2019

A self-employed gas fitter has been jailed after he carried out unsafe gas work while falsely pretending to be Gas Safe registered. Marc Murrie misled homeowners on several occasions by claiming to be Gas Safe Registered when he was not. Between October 2013 and September 2014, Murrie carried out gas work in two properties in…

Read More

Construction company and director in court for unsafe asbestos removal

By Sylwia Wolska | June 10, 2019

A construction company and its director have been fined after failing to ensure the safe removal of asbestos during demolition work. Greater Manchester Magistrates’ Court was told how Sherwood Homes Limited was the client responsible for the demolition of Crowton Mill in Northwich. Peter Kiely was a director of the company when the results of…

Read More

Two defendants handed prison terms over fall

By Sylwia Wolska | June 4, 2019

Company, two directors and contractor sentenced A company and two directors have been sentenced after an electrician fell two storeys through an unprotected stairwell in December 2016. Manchester and Salford Magistrates Court heard how the workman was carrying out electrical work at premises in Nantwich, Cheshire. The property was owned and being refurbished by self-employed…

Read More